Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Islands, with a short cut bridge fail

My car had broken down and I didn't want to wait to repair it. My friend J came along in an old volvo and picked up my boy cat and me. I convinced J to drive a shortcut back to the island I was trying to get back to via a tiny, makeshift bridge-road, rather than the big bridge that would go far out of the way and add an hour to the drive. And so she drove down the tiny bridge and almost drove off of it, but stopped in time to catch the car, backed up, and then drove a bit farther and did drive off of it. The car disappeared as it fell and the three of us plunged into the water, feet first, straight down, about 12 feet to near the bottom.

Boy-cat was near my head, floating down with me, looking annoyed at the situation. So as soon as I had less downward momentum, I pushed him upwards towards the surface, and then we all swam up, and I put him on my shoulders and we started swimming across the water, towards the far off island still. (Boy-cat appreciated the push and being on my shoulders. The water was a comfortable temperature, cats just don't like swimming...)

The drop through the water looked sort of like this... but underwater...